Any way as some of you know, and as you can see in in the background of some of my previous pics I'm working on a grey knight army. In theory its meant to be ready for our clubs defence of the victorian club championships at the end of march..honestly whether that happens im not sure. As part of the initial list i had included a dreadknight, but after alot of play testing he's been dropped in lue of more psycannons and more rifledreds, if in doubt more guns right? Any way that said i still wanted to build one and build one right. So here's my take on what a dreadknight should actually look like.
It was a fair bit of work and involved me staring at the sprue's for a fair few hours just visualising how everything fit together, in the end i worked out the easiest way to change up the static nature would be to rebuild one leg, and the hips entirely.
|Both legs were originally straight like the one on the right.|
Next up to rebuild was the hip section, this didnt take too much to rebuild, mostly just cutting the areas that supported the terminator pilot off, But I also decided to raise the torso up at this point otherwise the model looked like the legs were too big for it. So to do this i found the round section that fit inbetween the guns of an aegis defence line quad autocannon, and attached that to the top of the hip section. To the front of that i added the front of the pilots harness as a kind of belt buckle area
|The hip section facing right as you can see the aegis gun swivel just about doubles the height of the hips, and gives me an area to overhang with the sarcophagus without clipping the hips.|
|This is what the front looked like before having the extra rounded bits shaved off.|
|After being cleaned up.|
|Adding in plasticard to cover the join, and green stuff to clean it up.|
|The underside of the sarcophagus and some extra plasticard to smooth the bottom to join onto the hips.|
|Pretty simple conversion in the end, also it seems i built the arms before the hips according to this pic..|
Turns out the base was huge, alot of space to fill, so this ended up having a combination of scibor resin ruined heads, dragon forge ruined pillars, some green stuff, slate and some plasticard carved to be scratched up tile work. I may or may not cover the base with water effects after its painted, leaving just the tiles up out of the water.
After this was built it was a simple matter to work out how to build the legs and hips to have him stepping up onto the ruins.
|The join between right leg and hip is a bit precarious, I woudln't call it load bearing, lets put it that way|
There you have the finished dreadknight, pretty happy with how he turned out, especially the sarcophagus and how the raising the torso up gives that an area to overhang, and makes the model look more proportional. The shoulder sheilds got moved slightly since there was more area free in the centre torso, and after that its finished and ready to paint. Sadly since it wont be getting fielded in my VICC army its been bumped for other grey knights. But since i like him i think he wont be far off getting painted.