Any way i decided i needed 2 in my list, with the ability to run them as venerable versions if i wanted, so picked up drednaught and a venerable drednaught kits. The Autocannons however were a conundrum, in the end it came down to imperial guard weapons teams, or the aegis defence platform kit. I decided on the aegis kit because it comes with a quad gun ( enough for 1 drednaught per kit) and it was way cheaper than the IG option, also it turns out the guns look better.
So you can see above the final version i built, I started with the normal drednaught kit, because i wanted to do some minor converting, and see how everything fit together before i moved onto the fancy venerable kit.
First up i decided to have it stepping up onto some rubble, so with some minor cutting around the knee an hip joint i was able to reposition the leg fairly easily
Next up i had to convert the torso to be a GK drednaught, this was also pretty simple, since i basically built it as normal apart from the central sarcophagus, that i replaced with the back of the grey knight terminator standard top, topped off with the top third of the sarcophagus front (I'm yet to fix around this with greenstuff). On either side i was able to use other parts from the terminator kit, being the paladin back-banner, and the shoulder mounted tilt-sheild.
So far so good, all pretty easy stuff, next up were the autocannon arms which i felt might be a bit trickier. I chose to use the Close combat arm and the autocannon arms from the kit because I felt they would have the best shape after I hacked them up.
|Next i put a peice of plasticard into the cut away section just to level it out|
|Finally i added the ammo drums onto the side.|
Here's the final build, without any extra purity seals and detailing ill get around to before painting. The arms aren't glued, and will probably end up magnetised in case i do feel like fielding the drednaught with a different weapon loadout.
In addition to the drednaught I also built a few servo skull markers. I scrounged up 3 of the old metal ones, 2 from the old inquisitor retinue, and one from the iron-hands hero shoulder pad.
|I used some foam offcuts, shaped into rocky outcrops and stuck onto round bases.|
|The next step was simply using some paperclips to pin the skulls and then inserting the clips into the foam.|